Wednesday, December 7, 2011

MD Interview with Ron Harris


Here's a snippet of the interview. For the rest of the interview, click the link to read the rest.

A Life in Limbo
Arnold Classic Europe Champ Victor Martinez Awaits His Fate
Exclusive interview by Ron Harris
It was Thanksgiving evening. Most of us in the USA were enjoying or had enjoyed a sumptuous feast surrounded by our loved ones in a warm, inviting home. This was not where Victor Martinez was calling me from that Thursday traditionally reserved for stuffing ourselves with turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce and pie, and relaxing in comfort on cushy sofas watching football on massive plasma screen TVs. Instead, Victor was locked up in a cold, gray correctional facility in New Jersey, away from all his friends and loved ones and surrounded by strangers, and subsisting on the cheapest, most basic foodstuffs imaginable— designed to keep inmates alive from day to day and no more. Worst of all, he did not know whether his next stop after this would be heading home to his good friends and his four children, or to the airport to board his final flight ever out of the USA, deported back to his birthplace of the Dominican Republic. This was where Victor's head was at when we spoke.
RH: Happy Thanksgiving, Vic! Not too happy, I'm sure. How long have you been in now?vic-3
VM: Almost six weeks.
RH: So, your kids all came in to see you today, I assume?
VM: No, my younger daughter came in once and the other kids haven't been in. I don't want them to see me in here. I really don't want to see anybody because it makes things a lot more grim for me. They come in and leave, and I'm still here. It's just easier this way. Plus I hate to inconvenience people, and it's a whole process they have to go through just for a visit.
RH: Okay, the next question is quite ridiculous in the big picture, but all the meatheads want to know— are you holding your size?
VM: I'm down about 10 or 15 pounds I guess. I'm not sure, I'm not weighing myself.

RH: What kind of equipment do you have access to?
VM: Nothing except a chin-up bar. No weights at all. There are only so many chin-ups, push-ups and crunchesoo much about it either
 you can do before it gets redundant. I'm trying not to atrophy too much, but at the same time I can't worry t
II hope Victor just recovers physically & mental from the ordeal. Whether he's in the USA or back to the Dominican Republic, the fans will find & follow him. Good Luck to you Victor & i hope we see you soon on stage. 
Photo courtesy by MD


No comments: