Caffeine is known as an
"alkaloid."
It boosts energy by -
Attaching
to adenosine receptors and preventing adenosine from having a
suppressant effect on the CNS. As a result it can increase mental
alertness and CNS activity. It can also have a short term effect on
neurotransmitters.
Is this good or bad?
In my experience most things can have a positive effect, or negative depending on how much you use,
how often and under which circumstances they are used.
Caffeine
is a prime example of something I feel we use too much of. As a result
some people will find that their adrenal glands are put under too much
stress, their sleep pattern/quality is poor and the actual stimulant
benefits of caffeine subside so they don't actually feel any uplift.
Personally
I feel 3 average sized cups of coffee a day are about right, as a
general rule to
follow. However I would avoid coffee within 6 hours of bed, because we
know this is roughly how long caffeine remains active for. You want your
CNS to be able to relax prior to bed!
Another
factor to consider is that caffeine will elevate cortisol briefly which
can suppress your appetite. If you struggle to eat at certain times of
the day, it probably isn't a good idea to drink coffee then.
If
you feel you are already at that point
where you don't get the benefits of caffeine anymore, try avoiding it
for 10-14 days and then reintroduce it, sticking to the volume I
mentioned above!
No comments:
Post a Comment