And both may be the exact opposite of what you’ve heard...
#1 On The No Carb List: Breakfast...
“I will not eat carbs for breakfast ever again for as long as I want to build
muscle.”
That’s right, “the most important meal of the day” should consist of negligible carbs.
Why?
I
want my body to run off fat for energy, as in adipose tissue or
bodyfat. I do not want it running off sugar and amino acids as these
nutrients could be better used for muscle recovery and brain function.
By
eating a low carb, higher fat breakfast you keep insulin levels low,
which “channels” the body towards burning body fat. A high carb
breakfast, on the other hand, shifts you more towards being a “sugar
burner.”
#2 On The No Carb List: Pre Workout
This one may surprise a lot of guys...
Yet here’s why I recommend removing carbs is from the pre-workout meal.
With any high carb meal the subsequent insulin release results in a “serotonin-dominant”
brain.
And
serotonin is associated with sleep, relaxation, and satiety -- not
exactly what you want leading up to a grueling “take no prisoners”
weight training workout.
High
insulin also effectively shuts off using bodyfat as fuel. Which is
exactly what you don’t want during a workout, when you’re trying to
mobilize fat.
Granted, you still “need” carbs for maximum pumps and to restore glycogen, but this can
easily be accomplished through high carb meals in the evening and postworkout.
These are times when “all things serotonin” (relaxation, sleep) are your friend, as they’re conducive to sleep.
So carbs are still allowed, just not at the wrong times, which are mornings and pre-workout.
No comments:
Post a Comment